Last Monday started our week of snow. We got about 5 inches on Monday, which is a lot for England. In fact, it was the most snow here in 18 years. It basically put the country in chaos. They don't really have the equipment to deal with that much snow. It would be like getting 5 inches of snow in Florida.
Well, the snow did not end there. On Thursday, we got another 3 inches of snow. By then, they had run out of salt for roads and sidewalks. People were using table salt. Since a lot of snow is a rarity here, there is a lack of snow shovels. Sledding would have been great, but you cannot find sled here either.
Thursday's are the day we head to church for a Bible Study. They called and said, "If you can get here, come on, we are still meeting." It was an adventure. I got the kids all bundled up and we headed out. But since there are no snow shovels our sidewalks were covered with snow and ice. I realized that strollers don't really go at all on snow. I almost had to call it quits before I left our apartment complex. I did make it to the bus stop only to wait for over about 45 minutes for a bus. Finally one came, it wasn't the right one, but got us to close enough. We had the same problem on the way home, no buses. We left our house at 9:30 am and got home at 1:00. The Bible study is only an hour and a half. The rest of that time was traveling.
On Friday, we woke up to another Winter Wonderland. It snowed most of the morning and we got another 3 inches.
The worst part of the snow was no grocery delivery. Since most people here travel on foot, bike and bus the grocery stores deliver. It is so nice. I go online, shop, pick my time to deliver and they bring them right to your kitchen. I placed an order for delivery on Thursday, but it didn't come. In fact, it didn't come until today (Monday). Our cabinets were bare, we ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly.
The forecast is for more snow tomorrow.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! What an adventure!
Post a Comment